Port of Summerside facilities include the following:
- An approach channel with a width of 80 metres and a depth of 6.7 metres
- 1 – Marine Terminal – this terminal includes:
- a transit shed comprised of 4,970 m2 of heated space
- a Forklift Storage and Pallet Disinfection Building (418.5 m2)
- a wharf, which was updated with steel sheet piling (SSP) in 1951, and provides four (4) sections of berthing capacity as follows:
- 190 m berth with a depth of 8.0 m
- 190 m berth with a depth of 5.4 m
- 66 m berth with a depth of 6.5 m
Please note that these depths may vary along the berth lengths, and we recommend that you contact the Harbour Master at 902-439-4979 for more details.
- The Summerside Port is well positioned for shipping activity from along the Eastern Seaboard of the US, the St Lawrence Seaway, and Atlantic Canada.
- Tidal range of 1.5 m (5′)
- Summerside Port is located approximately 25 km from the Confederation Bridge, the year-round connection between the Island and the mainland.
- 2 – Holman’s Wharf – a finger pier type steel sheet piling structure which was reconstructed in 1951.
- 3 – Queen’s Wharf – an “L” shaped timber pile wharf structure originally constructed in 1961 with a closed face piling and a wave break on the east side of the structure. The original deck structure has been removed on approximately 50% of the length of the wharf. The remaining structure has been barricaded to vehicular traffic. The wharf is used primarily by the fishing community. The northeast corner of the facility is a steel sheet piling structure.
- 4 – Marine Slip – a slipway for the commercial fishing community.
- 5 – The HQ Property – in the heart of Downtown Summerside, the HQ Property offers professional office space for lease overlooking the waterfront with ample parking available.
- 6 – Harbourview Place – a commercial area available for development in the heart of Summerside’s downtown.
- 7 – Dixie Lee Property – a commercial property currently home to a local family restaurant.
- 8 – Spinnakers’ Landing – a lively waterfront marketplace where local artisans operate a number of shops and restaurants. To check out more about our vendors or our seasonal entertainment lineup, check out Spinnakers’ Landing.
- 9 – Yacht Club Breakwater – this breakwater was constructed of Island sandstone and is used to provide protection for the marina.
- 10 – Main Breakwater (not pictured) – This structure, located at MacCallum’s point, is approximately 963 metres in length. A lighthouse, managed by Fisheries and Oceans, is situated at the end of the breakwater; this lighthouse and the land upon which it is situated are not owned by the Corporation.
For more details, call the Harbour Master at 902-432-6532 (office) or 902-888-8856 (cell).